A Reflection of My Life after living in Uganda as a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Flower Garden

A few weeks ago I finally got around to planting a flower garden around my house. I had planted the seeds months ago and grown the flowers in basins until I was ready to plant them in the soil. I arranged them around the front and side of my house and was happy with the way it looked. I have a small herb garden on the side of my house too. Over the last week, several teacher's have come over and thanked me for beautifying my house. But they always give me strange looks when they look at my plants. Finally one of them told me that I had planted rabbit food. All my flowers are weeds, according to them. I tested this one theory out on other Ugandans who would stop by. I asked if they thought my flowers were weeds or rabbit food. Sure enough they all think my flower garden is weeds and only fit for rabbit food. I told them that in America we call these flowers sunflowers, chrysanthemums, daisies, and portulacas but they do not believe me.

Another problem I have with this flower garden is that it used to be a path for people to walk along. They don't like taking the extra step out to not step in my flowers and so I continually find footprints in the soil. I came home from being away and even found a small pair of unmatched flip flops which I know belong to my sweet little friend Francie. No one likes to be inconvenienced do they?

No comments:

Post a Comment