A Reflection of My Life after living in Uganda as a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Rainy Morning


This morning we had out first real downpour of rain since before Christmas. We’ve had a few sprinkles here and there but this was a good downpour with thunder and lightening too. When it rains everyone puts their buckets out at the edge of the eaves to catch the rain coming off the roof. If you are a student you better get your bucket out as soon as it rains because there is only so much space and so many students. For me, I share a block of housing with other teachers and we each put 4 -5 buckets out. Because water is sometimes scarce and troublesome to get (you must go to the bore hole and stand in line then walk your heavy jerry cans of water back home) it is very important to collect as much water as possible when it rains. We use this water to mop our houses, do our laundry, cook and to bathe.


The boy's dorm is directly across from my front window. I often sit at this window in the morning and drink my coffee. My favorite scene this morning was of these little boys out in the rain with their soap and sponges bathing. They were not going to waste any collected water when there was a free shower going on!


BATHING BOYS


BOY CATCHING WATER AND BOY BATHING


GIRLS DOING LAUNDRY IN THE RAIN

No comments:

Post a Comment