A Reflection of My Life after living in Uganda as a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Soleme's Birthday

Early last week I was approached by a teacher. She wanted to commission me to make a birthday cake for her daughter and take pictures at her birthday party. She wanted to know how much I charged. I make cakes and other baked goods every now and then and always share with my neighbors and friends. I'd never been asked to do a party for anyone. I tried to get her to tell me how much she wanted to pay me but she wouldn't so I quoted a low number and she doubled it. We were both happy.

Day before the party I realize I'm busy all day, tired and don't really want to think about making a cake. So...in true American fashion...I buy a boxed cake mix! Yes, way out of my budget but well worth the time factor. Ugandan's don't know any difference. They still think I slaved all day over this cake. I did make homemade frosting and dyed it yellow/orange, threw on some mnm's and used candles to write the letters 1 4.

We took pictures, sang Happy Birthday over her lit cake, gave presents, chatted and took more pictures. I know I've said this before but I really appreciate the way Ugandan share. Soleme (the birthday girl) cut her cake into small pieces and passed it around making sure everyone got a piece. She even thought to send some to the school cooks and matrons. She then got a slightly bigger piece for herself but still no where near the size of cake we each eat on our birthday's in the States. She was gracious and kind. After the party she thanked me repeatedly for being there for her birthday and helping. She then gave me a soda that had been intended for her. Ugandan's have so much to teach me. I hope that I can be as selfless someday.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry Manda. When you come home next year, we'll have a birthday/welcoming home party for you with cake. I will gladly be the first to challenge you to pass the cake around first before eating it. It is my duty as your sister.

    ReplyDelete