A Reflection of My Life after living in Uganda as a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Christmas in Uganda

There is a secondary school behind my house. I had never been over there until last week. It is a really good school and they don't really need my services so I never made the time to go and visit. I was invited to their Christmas Carol program and decided it was time to make an appearance. Everyone was so happy to have me there. They sang songs in both Luganda and English. Many Christmas songs I knew. Near the end of the program I was invited up to give a few words and then was asked to share an American Christmas carol with the school. I am definitely not a singer and singing for secondary students is not my idea of fun. I insisted they had sung all the Christmas songs I knew and I'd have to work on one for next year. Somehow, they went with it.

As I walked into this school it was decorated for Christmas with streamers and paper cut outs of snowmen and Santa Clause. The Santa Clause was black and when I asked students what the snowmen were they didn't know. I tried to explain the concept of packing snow into a round mound and using coal and a carrot to make a face. Students were shocked we'd put our coal on snow.

It doesn't look like Christmas with everything green, steady temperatures in the 80's and 90's, and black faced Santa Clauses. Yet the joyful and excited children's voices waiting for Christmas, the pressured adults trying to save enough money for meat on Christmas and the familiar Christmas carols in English show me Christmas is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment