A Reflection of My Life after living in Uganda as a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Jesus Freak - the Bus

Amy and I traveled on a bus named Jesus Freak. When we caught the bus it was already packed with people. We found ourselves standing in the stairwell trying to keep our balance as it sped over deep roots and spun loose gravel as it creamed around a curve in the road. Outside of the capital roads are more and more likely to be gravel and as you travel into war torn areas they are likely to have not been maintained or even touched in 20 years. This was our experience on this bus. While we initially thought the bus couldn't fit another person in, it continued to pick up more people along the road side. Amy and I quickly became separated where I found myself near the front standing with my head in a man's elbow, my hand on the shoulder of a very sweaty man, my foot on a woman's basket with a chicken inside and due to the many pot holes, my butt was bumping along some poor man's leg. Amy on the other hand, was care free hanging out the bus door with the conductor, smiling as the breeze from the fast moving bus blew her hair every witch-watch-way. Despite the sardine effect, the accelerator happy driver and the lack of passable road Amy and I made it on Jesus Freak safely to our destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment