A Reflection of My Life after living in Uganda as a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer

Thursday, July 29, 2010

You Will Be Missed

For the last 2 ½ months my sister Angela has been living and interning in Uganda. She started her time in Africa as my travel companion taking a bus through Uganda and all around Rwanda. Then I left for South Africa and she stayed behind living parts of my life in Uganda. She made friends with my neighbors, teachers at school and children in Gayaza. She volunteered as a Communications Intern for Child Fund International in Kampala. And she traveled around Uganda making new friends and learning more about the people and places of Uganda.

Since I came back she was busy learning to fetch water, went white water rafting on the Nile River, attended a rousing party with priests, nuns and a seminarian, coached the yellow team for Sports Day, and hung out with good friends.

But now her summer is over and she has left to return to university in the good ol' United States of America. Daily I am asked, "How is Angela?" "When is Angela coming back?" There are even strangers on the street who call me Angela. She made an impression on my community and she will be missed.








No comments:

Post a Comment