A Reflection of My Life after living in Uganda as a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer

Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Christmas Season

How does a girl from Minnesota make constant 85 degree days feel like Christmas? Christmas is a little over 2 weeks away and I have yet to have an overcast day, see snow falling or watch my breath leave my mouth. I don’t hear Christmas music being played over every intercom and I have yet to see A Charlie Brown Christmas on TV. With the help of gifts from friends and family in the States and the keeping of a few promises I made to my neighbor children, I began outfitting myself for this Christmas season.

Grace came over and helped me stick window-clings onto my wall. The window-clings are great though the placement of them on my wall leaves much to be desired. Grace is so proud of her work and thinks it all looks wonderful. I’m not sure how you can make a snowman stand proudly next to a black African woman in a painting. I lit a Christmas Mix essential oils candle making my house smell like cinnamon and spice. I pulled out all my Christmas underwear from storage and am trying to wear red and green everyday. Joseph, Maria, Grace and I even made Christmas cookies complete with red and green sprinkles! Tomorrow we’re going to go around our compound and hand out cookies to all the teachers wishing them a Merry Christmas.

While this is my first Christmas away from home and without snow, I am trying to make the most of it and bring the feel of Christmas to my life in Uganda. Every time Grace walks in my house she reads the words written on my wall, “Happy Holiday’s!” Today, I asked her what holiday’s we were getting ready for to which she replied, “Me.” I was confused and asked her what she meant. “The holiday’s for me to turn into P2.” I think I have some more work to do on explaining the multi-meanings of holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment