A Reflection of My Life after living in Uganda as a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Getting to Camp

I woke up early on Sunday morning partially afraid I’d be late getting to camp and partially too excited to sleep. Shortly after waking, I heard a knock at my back door. Still in my pajamas I opened the door to find Solome standing there with her bright floral duffle bag - 2 hours early! I laughed at her excitement and told her to go check on Daphine who had stayed the night at school. I had just enough time to dress and start boiling water for coffee when Solome, Daphine and Teddy all arrived at my house. They stood outside my door for the next hour as I continued packing and readying my house to be closed up for the week. I’d occasionally put my backpack, laptop and loose bags out the door only to find one had taken it and was carrying their own belongings and mine all ready to head out.

We finally left to pick up Rose Mary and Zam. Both girls were waiting at the gate of their residence and we marched off for the taxi park. Our taxi let us out early in Kampala and we had to walk down the hill to the taxi park that would take us to Kisubi. I found out quickly that this was a major challenge for Zam who has the severest limp. I took her bag and we continued to painstakingly make our way to the taxi. What should have been a 5 minute walk took us 15 minutes. But we made it! At the taxi park we picked up two other girls and scrambled into the taxi.

Arriving at our stop we then had to walk 20 minutes to the school. Along the way we passed a University and a well known boy’s secondary school. The girls were in awe over seeing these famous places and also at the beautiful landscaping of them. Arriving at camp, I went straight to work while they settled into the dorms and took naps.

The rest of the day was full of camper registration, bubbly get to know you games, good food and laying out the rules, expectations and making other announcements. Everything has gone pretty smoothly. It seems like we planned things out well enough that we are able to meet any changes that come our way. I’m excited for this week! It’s going to be a whirlwind but truly life changing for all involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment