A Reflection of My Life after living in Uganda as a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Naked Moments

I left my house to go to the market this morning. As I was walking through the school compound on my way out I heard the shouts of fun and delight from students on the pitch (large field used for sports). It was early in the morning so I knew this meant the P1’s were out for P.E. (physical education). I love watching the little ones at P.E. They laugh, jump and run with their full beings. I can’t help smiling. Their joy is contagious. Now, it’s not only their carefree happiness that makes me smile but also their attire. They are naked! Dark little bodies in their white underwear zig-zag throughout the field. Who wouldn’t smile at this site?

I share a block of concrete bathing rooms with other teachers at the school. I get so excited and happy on the mornings or evenings I bathe at the same time as Rose. Rose loves to sing as she bucket bathes. This makes me laugh with happiness to which she always asks me what makes me laugh so happily. We then carry on a conversation as we both soap up and pour water over our naked bodies. This camaraderie gives me a sense of belonging and contentment.

Babies in Uganda are perpetually running around naked. I, for one, fully support this as it is too hot to wear clothes and their naked little butts are just so darn cute. Of course, this may also contribute to problems with worms and other health concerns so I probably shouldn’t encourage this too strongly.

I had a roommate in college who had a poster with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. It said something about God creating us to be naked vegetarians. I like this. There is beauty and joy in the naked. And I’ve found it’s cross-cultural!

No comments:

Post a Comment