A Reflection of My Life after living in Uganda as a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Goodbyes

Goodbyes are inevitable. We are forced to make them at many junctions throughout our lives. It's not until you must say goodbye to a whole community that you realize how many people have affected your daily life. For the last few weeks I have been working on saying goodbye to Gayaza, Peace Corps and Uganda in general. Last week I attended several goodbye lunches with close friends, goodbye parties/ceremonies at local schools I had worked in, goodbye dinners with co-workers and had several goodbye visits from community members. I ate more matoke wrapped in banana leaves and g-nut sauce each day than I've possibly eaten in 2 years. O.k. that might be a little exagerations but still, it was a lot! There were a few days I had multiple lunches. My stomach hurt from forcing down such heavy meals within an hour of each other. But my heart was beating with thankfulness and pure joy at having such wonderful friends who gave from their hearts and culture by making special goodbye meals to share with me one last time. And so, I say goodbye to my wonderful and unique home and all my dear friends who made my experience a truly memorable one.
Goodbye Gayaza market where I shopped for fresh food several times a week Goodbye Peter, a Gayaza street food vendor Goodbye Gayaza chapati man who always greeted me in Luganda Goodbye Gayaza boda men who called me Nalubega and always wanted to take me for a ride though I always refused

Goodbye Gayaza supermarket who sold me the cheapest apples in the area Goodbye mukwano (friend) who worked in the supermarket and always welcomed me in Goodbye Gayaza fresh dairy where I bought yogurt every morning Goodbye daily walks and fun adventures with my little friend Grace Goodbye Joan and baby Ellen who taught English with me to adults from Gayaza Goodbye Mildred, Alvin, Gertrude, and Maggie who played with me and loved me Goodbye Joan, Susan, Allan and Norah who taught me about the plight of women in Uganda and the health needs and concerns of Gayaza Goodbye Annet who showed me how to look out for the best interest of others and always love children Goodbye belongings that only work and fit in in Uganda Goodbye sweeping with small sticks gathered together and goodbye to my cute little house where I lived alone for the first time in my life Goodbye PCV friends who still have more work to do in Uganda

Goodbye Uganda! You are LOVED!

No comments:

Post a Comment