A Reflection of My Life after living in Uganda as a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer

Friday, October 7, 2011

Left Behind

I didn't come to love traveling and visiting people completely on my own right. I was influenced by my family. Growing up, we took family vacations and the talk of world history, events and politics was always present at our dinner table. It really isn't surprising that they too like to travel around the world.

What I find surprising is that I am on the other end this time. Usually, I am asking my family to take me to the airport or pick me up. This week, I was the one dropping off and will pick them up. My mom is off to South Carolina with her friends. My sister and brother-in-law went to Boston for a wedding and to visit our sister. And my sister in California went to Las Vegas with her friends.

Where am I you ask? This time I'm the one left behind to cook and clean and man the home front. Yes, I am a little jealous. My farmer father also may be less than happy to be left behind. But I think the meat and potatoes guy is most disgruntled with being left behind with a vegetarian daughter.

1 comment: