A Reflection of My Life after living in Uganda as a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer

Friday, April 2, 2010

I Think It's Over

Many times I find I don't understand what Ugandans are actually telling me. I take things more literal than they intend them to be. Sometimes this is a big frustration when I find out what I wanted done isn't happening. But sometimes it is a pleasant surprise that things have actually been taken care of.

I went to talk to Annet last weekend to really sort things out before I went and talked to this man. I told her I was intending to talk to him and she asked me why. I told her I felt it was important to be honest and upfront with this man and since she wasn't, I was going to. Then she smiled and said, "But Amanda, I already told him you won't marry him, ever. I even told him you wouldn't play sex with him. He knows. He knows." "But Annet," I said, "you told me you told him I need to get my life in order and there was still hope." To which she laughs and shakes her head and said, "O.k. yes. I did say that. But then I told him the rest."

At first I was still a little unsure of how truthful this was. Now, after a week, I have not seen him nor has he been by to "visit" Annet. So, I think it's over...

No comments:

Post a Comment