A Reflection of My Life after living in Uganda as a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Rain Proofing My House

I live in a house with tin sheets for a roof. These tin sheets make day time insufferably hot with the sun blazing down on them. They also make the nights loud and unsleepable during rain. For the most part it is the loud factor that keeps me awake. However, there is also the dripping factor. My tin sheets have holes in them. I have patched them, or had others patch them, several times over the last year. The birds continue to pick at these holes making them holes again and the elements, rain, wind, and sun also contribute to the resurfacing of these holes.

I have now changed tactics and simple rain proof the inside. As you see in the picture that follows, I leave an umbrella upside down on top of my mosquito net. In the mornings I simple dump the water it catches outside and thus, I have solved the problem of being awoken by rain drops.

Only in Peace Corps. Only in Peace Corps...

4 comments:

  1. character building, amanda! character building!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I was the first to patch your roof and I also believe I gave you that umbrella! Yes, you are welcome.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy, you are so handy!LOOOOVVVEEE YOUUUUU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness. Im actually relieved. I was dreading having to climb back onto that roof. After the billions of tons of posho Ive consumed Im pretty sure I would break through that roof now. But I can see that american ingenuity really at work there. i think we should tell more volunteers about this simple fix!
    cant wait to see you
    miss you love

    ReplyDelete