A Reflection of My Life after living in Uganda as a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer

Friday, September 23, 2011

Boston, I'm back!

I used to live on the East Coast. A large part of my development happened there. I went to college and entered the working world when living in/around Boston. I love Boston! Yet, when I came back from Uganda, Boston was the last place I wanted to go. There were too many memories there. And too many people I would need to see. The pace of life seemed so fast I didn't think I could handle it. So I put it off. I talked on the phone to my friends there and made half enthused promises to visit soon.

As time has passed I have become more emotionally stable. I am more confident in my ability to live in the States again. And a burning desire to see Boston and visit my old life pushed through. I called my friend Bridget and asked if she'd be around and after getting the affirmative, I bought my ticket before I could change my mind.

As my plane descended over Boston and I looked out at the familiar sites I couldn't keep the smile from my face. I was back! I was coming home.

It is always a struggle of wanting to spend quality time with people and wanting to cram as many activities in as you can when you visit. And really, who can resist the carrot cake pancakes with maple cream cheese butter from my favorite breakfast place on the North Shore?

And creamy pumpkin ice-cream from Richardson's? It's only a fall flavor after all!

The memories are good here. And the friends are fantastic. My time in Boston will fly so quickly. But I am very happy to be here. So watch out Boston, I'm back!

No comments:

Post a Comment